How many¬†times do¬†we, as small business owners,¬†embark on our journey to start our small businesses without ever sitting¬†down to¬†write¬†out¬†our goals?¬† I’m not talking about a quick bullet point list of what we hope we’ll accomplish, but rather actionable, measurable, and attainable goals.
Most of us are like the man Jesus spoke of who didn’t sit down to count the cost of building his tower.¬† Why?¬† We don’t know how.¬† We didn’t have the formula. Listen as Zig Ziglar gives us his formula to turn our wishes (undefined goals) into true goals that can be achieved.
Zig Ziglar: Setting Goals (part 1 of 3)
The Featured Video this week is an excerpt from a course on setting goals by one of my favorite motivational speakers – Zig Ziglar.¬† Don’t be fooled by the dated look of this video.¬† Zig’s advice is powerful and timeless.
Selected Highlights from the Video
Listed below are some of the quotes and other information from the video that I found helpful.¬† I hope you find them helpful too.
Setting Goals is a Choice
“You can choose to set goals and realize your potential, or you can choose not to set them.¬† Now if you choose not to set them you have to understand that the consequences will not be good down the road.” – Zig Ziglar
6 Steps to Making Your Goal Become a Reality
- Put it on paper.¬† You must write down the goal.
- Put an expected completion date on the goal.
- Identify the obstacles to completing your goal.
- List the people, groups, etc. you’ll need with to work to accomplish the goal.
- Devise a plan of action.¬† Determine what you need to know.
- Write down the benefits¬†you’ll receive by¬†accomplishing the goal.
Goals Do Not Care Who Makes Them
‚ÄúGive me a stock clerk with a goal, and I‚Äôll¬†give you a man¬†who will make history.¬† But give me a man without a¬†goal, and I’ll¬†give you a stock clerk.‚ÄĚ – J.C. Penney
The Unlikely Success of Post-War Japan
After World War II, the Japanese economy was in ruins.¬† Industry and government came together to set the following goals.
- 1950¬†Goal: To be the #1 nation in the production¬†of textiles – accomplished 1959
- 1960 Goal: To be the #1 nation in the production of steel (little iron ore/coal)
- 1970 Goal: To be the #1 nation in the production of autos – accomplished 1980
- 1980 Goal: To be the #1 nation in the production of computers/electronics
It’s Not the Goal that is Key, but the Formula
The secret to accomplishing your goals doesn’t lie in the goal itself, but rather in having a formula you can use to achieve those dreams – whatever they may be.¬† Zig’s gave of his formula in six simple, yet powerful, steps.
Step #6 was one I needed to add to my formula.¬† Too often we forget to remind ourselves of the reason we set the goal.¬† If the goal is not personal to you then it will fail to spur you to action.