You read that correctly – Christian businesses don’t exist. That doesn’t sound like a proclamation you’d expect to hear from a website dedicated to bringing our Christian faith into the marketplace, does it?
We were reminded of this fact in a recent tweet by Rick Warren.
There’s really no such thing as a “Christian business” only Christian business people. Jesus saves people,not organizations – Rick Warren
In our third lesson from the 20 Entrepreneurial Lessons from Creation series, we look at how your business can serve as a beacon of light in the world.
Our Number One Priority as Christians
When the Bible talks about the actions of God it’s important to understand that the Holy Spirit led the writer to depict these actions in a very precise way. God is not a god of chaos. Everything He does is perfectly ordered.
Knowing this about God, it’s interesting that his first priority in Creation was to bring light into the world.
2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. 3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (Genesis 1:2-3, KJV)
If this was His first priority, as demonstrated by His actions, then it would follow that it’s our first priority as Christians, as leaders, and as entrepreneurs. Just imagine how all of the remaining acts of Creation would be for naught had God not first brought the light that would sustain them.
Every Christian is Called into Full-Time Ministry
While only about 3% of Christians receive a vocational calling to be in full-time ministry, this doesn’t mean that the other 97% are off the hook. All Christians have a life calling, or a commission, to spread the Gospel.
19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matthew 28:19-20, KJV)
This Great Commission was the last instructions given by Christ to His eleven disciples before He ascended into Heaven. It’s why evangelical Christians believe it’s their duty to proselytize in every facet of their daily lives.
Similar to God’s first actions being significant, doesn’t Christ’s last actions on earth also take on an added significance? Wouldn’t you want your last words to be the most profound and significant ones you’d ever uttered?
This Little Light of Mine
Remember singing “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine” in Sunday school as children? It’s a reminder of another instruction Jesus gave us about the importance of being a source of light.
14Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16, KJV)
Whether or not you decide to advertise your business as Christian-owned, we are still to operate our businesses in such a manner that they bring light into the world. Look at the phrases Christ uses.
“set on a hill” “cannot be hid” not “under a bushel” “on a candlestick” “light unto all” “shine before men” “that they may see”
There is no place where our faith is not supposed to impact our decisions and those around us. There is no place where we are not supposed to let our light shine through in our good works. No “separation of” exists for us.
Christian Businesses Don’t Exist
Rick Warren is correct, there is no such thing as a “Christian business” – there are just businesses operated by Christian people. As Christian entrepreneurs, it is imperative that we impress our belief system into our business operations by setting the example for our people.
Why do you think so many Christians are quick to draw a line in the sand where their faith is supposed to stop?
Do you think Christian entrepreneurs who decide not to advertise their faith are trying to hide their light under a bushel?
How are you letting your light shine through your business?